Tuesday, May 24, 2011

confessions of a camper

Last night I forgot to brush my teeth.

A couple days ago i burnt a whole through one of my shoes at the campfire after surviving a hail storm at 10,000 feet, thankfully the thrift store had another solid pair for four bucks. My nose is peeling. They call me Rudolf. Do reindeer noses peel?

It wasn't easy leaving Brooklyn, New York City was starting to grow on me by the time I left in the end of April. There are things and people I miss and others I don't, both long lists but definitely a shout out goes to my roomates, bandmates and duct tape of 260 Moore St. NICE!

A couple days of gardening in Maryland and a few bucks in my pocket brought me west to Boulder, CO where family and friends gathered to celebrate my sister's college graduation. Congratulations Hetta! I got to enjoy plenty of sunshine, hikes, music and bbqs before I took my mom to the airport to return east. Zach and I went north to stay with my friend Andrew in Fort Collins.

Straw-bale raised beds. Healthy chard and lettuce and a lot of frost bitten tomatoes. We had the priviledge of playing a show that night at a venue downtown - jam night. It was a blast being on stage again for the first time in months, this time with a georgeous '59 Les Paul. Andrew of course is a ridiculous drummer and he now makes music with a guy named john who besides being an incredible vibes player is hands down the most high energy person i have ever met, and that is no small feat considering I know this dude named josh lipkowitz - you out there? I witnessed 4 days of hypo-mania, I hear its been like this over a year. Nonstop flight. John and I had to turn around a couple times, returning to the grocery store for items on his mental checklist ignored by a free flow of chatter, beautiful thoughts, and some radical ideas. Have you heard of geodesic domes? If not check it out, self heated greenhouse using sacred geometry built anywhere for cheap. Bananas in Colorado, roses in the arctic.

More good times with Hetta and friends, and recording music with songwriter Steve Boorstein in Bouqlder and then I was back in Denver all by my lonesome, co-conspirator Zach on a flight back east. There was only one place to go, into the mountains, I had an itch and I had to get in them fast. As you'll soon find out I am definitely glad I bought 12 energy bars at the REI checkout line. I was gonna only get four 'till the cashier with a pretty smile told me 20% discount if you buy a dozen. four would not have been enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment